Over the past 10 years, we’ve developed a rigorous review process to identify the absolute best moving companies. We look at:
Customer satisfaction (40%): The company consistently delivers services in a timely matter with good communication and within the estimated cost.
Dispute resolution (20%): Mistakes cannot be avoided in the moving industry. We look for companies that own their mistakes and make genuine efforts to fix any issues that arise during a move.
Industry reputation (15%): The company is well regarded within the moving industry and participates in industry conferences and organizations.
Online reputation (15%): The company maintains a professional website with accurate information. The company promptly and professionally responds to online customer inquiries.
Service options (10%): We look for companies with a deep breadth of services including full packing, storage, specialty item handling, expedited delivery, and more.
Average moving company cost in Chapel Hill
The pricing table below shows ballpark costs for local moves within the Chapel Hill area and its surrounding suburbs. Or check out our post on the cost to move in Chapel Hill for more pricing info.
Keep in mind the price ranges listed are only averages. Actual costs can vary greatly depending on the specific requirements of your move.
You can also check out our moving cost calculator for more accurate moving cost estimates.
|Home Size||Avg. Total Cost||Cost/hour||# of Movers||# Hours|
|Studio||$504||$133||2 movers||3 hours|
|1 Bedroom||$637||$133||2 movers||4 hours|
|2 Bedroom||$929||$186||3 movers||5 hours|
|3 Bedroom||$1,937||$261||4 movers||8 hours|
|4 Bedroom||$2,198||$261||4 movers||9 hours|
|5+ Bedroom||$3,291||$365||5 movers||10 hours|
Things to keep in mind for your Chapel Hill move
- Parking Permits: The Town of Chapel Hill manages a Residential Parking Permit program in neighborhoods that see high levels of transient parking, especially those around the University of North Carolina, to ensure that residents have safe and accessible neighborhoods. The Residential Parking Permit program allows qualifying residents who live within the parking zone to obtain a permit to park during the posted time limits. If you are unable to apply online, or have questions, please email [email protected]
- State Licensing: For-profit household goods carriers in the state fall under the jurisdiction of the North Carolina Utilities Commission, Transportation Division. All legitimate movers should have a “C Number” issued by the commission, signifying that they’ve met minimum insurance requirements and adhere to the provisions outlined in the state’s Maximum Rate Tariff (MRT).
FAQs for Chapel Hill movers
How do I find a reputable Chapel Hill mover?
There are many things you should look for in a mover to ensure they’re reputable such as:
- A good reputation: Whether they’re a new family-owned business or a large van lines company with years of experience, a good reputation is absolutely essential.
- Dispute resolution: If the mover has many unresolved customer complaints, steer clear. All movers will eventually have some mishaps, but it’s the handling of these moments that show the company’s true colors.
- Experience for your move: Even a professional mover with amazing reviews for local moves may struggle to handle a cross-country move. Make sure the company has adequate experience for your particular needs.
What is the cheapest day to hire a mover?
If you’ve asked yourself this question, congratulations.
You’re asking the right questions to save money on your move. Typically, the earlier you book your move the better.
Avoiding weekends, holidays, and the summer will typically give you the best price on your move.
Shopping for the lowest quote is typically a bad idea since many companies will take your move for the lowest cost only for the price to end up doubling on the actual move day!
Do Chapel Hill movers offer storage?
Yes, depending on your storage needs most moving companies in Chapel Hill do offer both short and long-term storage units.
However, while some have their own storage facilities, others don’t, in which case they may store your items at a third-party warehouse. It’s always worth asking about storage facilities and getting quotes when screening prospective movers early on in the moving process.Should you use your mover's storage solutions?
What is there to do in Chapel Hill?
Some popular attractions in Chapel Hill include:
- The Carolina Basketball Museum
- North Carolina Botanical Garden
- Downtown Chapel Hill
- Dean E. Smith Center
- Ackland Art Museum
- Morehead Planetarium and Science Center
- Gimghoul Castle
- Top of the Hill Distillery (TOPO)
- 1870 Farm
- Forest Theater
- Chapel Hill Public Library
- PlayMakers Repertory Company
- Carolina Performing Arts
- The Chapel of the Cross
How’s the job market in Chapel Hill?
Chapel Hill’s unemployment rate is at 3.2%. Looking for a job in “Southern Part of Heaven”? Let us help you start looking, here’s a list of the top employers from this North Carolina city:
- University of North Carolina
- Performance Bicycle
- Investors Title
- Chapel Hill Rehab
- Healthcare Residential Services, Inc.
- UNC Charlotte
- Child Care Services Association
Helpful Chapel Hill Resources
Planning a move to Chapel Hill? We have a guide for that, select your origin below.
- Moving from Los Angeles to Chapel Hill
- Moving from New York City to Chapel Hill
- Moving from Chicago to Chapel Hill
- Moving from Houston to Chapel Hill
- Moving from Phoenix to Chapel Hill
- Moving to Chapel Hill from somewhere else
Top-Rated Movers in Nearby Cities
Not what you were looking for?
Check out other categories that can help you find the information you need!